Middle School Thursdays on Zoom
A place for weekly accountability and learning executive functioning, study skills, and personal development
By Abigail Wool-Biringer, MA, OTR/L
Owner of Kids Empowered 4 Life LLC
You may have heard the term “Executive Functions” – or it may be new to you. Simplified, Executive Functioning (EF) skills are skills that support goal directed behavior. Individuals with ADHD struggle with EF skills, but many typical teens could also use some help in strengthening these skills as they gain autonomy in the high school years. These skills are not fully developed until the brain reaches maturity, around age 23!
Executive Functioning Skills include:
- impulse control
- emotional control
- sustained attention
- working memory
- task initiation
- time management
- goal-directed persistence
- problem solving
Weaknesses to these skills may show up as problems following directions, remembering a sequence of activities, getting stuck on a problem, staying focused for duration of a task, organizing, maintaining emotional control, and being flexible with unexpected changes.
Middle School Thursdays Zoom offers a 6-week, one hour per week, group focusing on teaching one or two executive functioning skills and one complementary study skill each week to middle school students. I also add a personal development topic that goes along with the theme of the week. They will learn valuable skills to last through middle and high school and into college. The student will be given opportunities to put lessons into practice immediately with their own schoolwork. This is not “extra” work – it is complementary instruction to help your student succeed in this online and hybrid learning environment.
With each week, I will introduce the EF skills and we will discuss challenges that show up with it, and how to strengthen the skill. Then we will discuss a complementary study skill. I will ask students to have a real assignment or project to relate it to.
- Executive Functioning skill – Planning/Prioritization
- Study skill – Active Reading
- Personal Development – Goal setting (part 1)
- Bonus: Learning Styles Quiz (Identify your learning style to tailor EF and studying to match)
- Executive Functioning skill – Organization and Attention
- Study skills – Note Taking and how to research
- Personal Development – Goal setting (part 2)
- Executive Functioning skill – Time management and Task initiation
- Study skill – Active studying
- Personal Development – Motivation
- Executive Functioning skills – Problem Solving and Flexibility
- Study skill – Test-taking
- Personal development – Habits
- Executive Functioning skills – Goal-directed persistence and Impulse control
- Study skill – Tackling long-term projects
- Personal development – Social situations
- Executive Functioning skill – Self awareness and Emotional control
- Study skill – Independent work
- Personal development – Emotions
Time: Thursdays 5-6 pm on Zoom
Cost: $139 for 6 weeks, beginning March 18, ending April 22, 2021
Bonus: My executive functioning assessments and 30+-page Practical Solutions for Executive Functioning workbook, as well as study skill handouts
* Once payment is complete, you will receive a confirmation email and further information within 24 hours. If you do not receive an email, please check your spam folder, or email us at kidsempowered4life.com. Thank you!